Tuesday, April 13, 2010

nice is the new nice

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there are not many things that I dislike. From the list, one thing that I truly cannot stand is loud-voiced men who think too highly of themselves. Unfortunately, I deal with these kinds almost on daily basis. I can’t help it because I do corporate work and the corporation is full of self-important babies.

You know who they are. Insecure grown men in meetings, always have to make a point in a very loud voice, even if they have no point. Their craving for respect and credit is insatiable. I could go on and on about them because I despise them so much, but I will stop here. This blog is about positive things in my life. I have another blog for venting purposes.

So, anyway, I had this meeting. It was with several very important people. I was already being judgmental even before the meeting started. So I braced myself for an unpleasant experience of ego warfare. I was usually a wallflower in those kinds of meetings, nobody ever bothered to even look at me. But I was in for a surprise. Those gentlemen were very, very nice. They asked, they listened, they gave suggestions rather than orders, and I respect them so much for that.

You know the saying: it’s nice to be important, but more important to be nice? It’s cliché but true. Unless you train an army, you can’t get a lot from people if you yell at them. You would only scare them and make them hate you and bitch about you behind their backs and plot their ways out. Nobody likes working for a tyrant.

I, for sure, don’t like it.

I need to be inspired rather than pushed. And I am not scared of anything. Tyranny won’t work for people who are not afraid. So it’s useless being hard on me because it won’t increase my productivity or whatever. I will only be more productive in finding ways to kill you and that would take up probably 50% of my productive hours, leaving me unproductive.

To be fair, people in this country is still lacking professionalism. It’s a national disease I guess and I don’t see a cure is going to be invented anytime soon. But leading a team with a tyrannical attitude is just not the way to go, especially if what one leads is actually a group of individuals who are paid to think for themselves. And I can think for myself.

Back to that particular meeting. It was very refreshing. They were not overly humble and being too friendly or anything. They were still being important, but they treated us as equally important and that was nice and they inspired me to do great stuff for them. And I will give myself an extra push to do great things, because I like working with nice people.

Hitler, after all, is so 1940s.
Keep up with the trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment