Friday, April 2, 2010

how to be rich in an instant

How does eating a cup of super cheap, super instant noodle universally known as pop mie goreng make one feel like the richest person in the world?


Two possibilities: MSG-induced hallucination or random enlightenment that has got nothing to do with the said cup noodle. (Or when you think about it, the latter can be the direct effect of the first)

I'm not too sure which of the possibilities applied to my case, but it happened. I was craving for it and when I had the first forkful of the rubbery, chock-full of unknown chemicals noodle in my mouth, I did feel like the richest person in the world.

Why? Because I get what I want when I want it the most.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the secret of being rich. And I can proudly say that I am a rich person.

True, I do not own a house or a car, which are standard measurement for richness for most people. But I am rich because I always get what I want.

Do I want a house and a car?

I don't care about cars. I can't drive, I'm directionally challenged, I can't even instinctively tell right from left, I have to think about it, seriously. That's why I make a point of wearing my watch on my left wrist, so I know that it is left just by looking at my wrist. That's why I don't mind having to depend on other people to get me places. I won't be able to travel by myself anyway.

Now, as an adult, do I want a dream house? Every bank commercial says so.

Well, yeah, eventually. BUT I only want a house if it's in a location that I like. And I am very picky with locations. With the kind of earnings that I have now, I can't afford it yet. Thus, I don't want it. Why burden myself with a mortgage for a house I don't even like in the first place. Maybe I will own a house in the future, maybe I won't. It's not like I'm going going to be buried in the house anyway. Bad investment strategy? I don't do strategies. I believe in miracles. They happened in my life so I believe.

Do I want branded stuff? Nope, I'm terribly unfashionable. It's a disease I cannot cure, so I arm myself with a wardrobe full of black shirts, jeans, shorts and black dresses for weddings. They work just fine. I don't like to carry a bag, so I got myself a man's bag so my husband can carry it for me without him looking like an idiot. And I don't care about shoes either. As long as I have one or two comfortable pairs, I'm done.

My indulgences are books, booze and travels. Those are the things that I would save up for. I am a sucker for experience and I don't mind paying extra to experience alternative realities. Those indulgences enrich me, imaginatively.

So mostly, I get what I want. In fact, I have what I want and what I don't have, I don't want.

And I believe that is what makes me rich.

Conclusions: there are two possible ways to be rich:

1. Stop wanting anything, you'll feel like you own everything.
2. Start eating pop mie day in day out, they're really cheap so you could use the extra money to buy your dream whatever.

So there, get rich or die trying :)

2 comments:

  1. hahaha... ur tips are remarkably true!
    I'm somewhat near to point no. 1. It's not about wanting stuffs, but I'm genuinely happy with what I have so I feel like I'm the richest person on earth.
    Point no. 2 has proven to cause die young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, aren't we lucky to be happy with what we have? and point 2 causes degradation in intelligence as well Git :)

    ReplyDelete