Tuesday, March 30, 2010

the durian mission

I'm the kind of girl who eats nearly everything. I'm always hungry and I eat faster than most people. And when it comes to food I am gutsy too. I eat almost everything: innards, raw or half-dead animals, dried insects, anything.

Except durian. I hate durian with contempt. Not that I ever tasted one. The smell for me is so horrible I can't stomach the thought of bringing it to my mouth. It's like eating a dead person.

There aren't that many things that I dislike in life because my level of tolerance is relatively high. Besides durian, the things that I dislike are screaming children, loud-voiced men who think too highly of themselves (I can accept these qualities in women because I think insecure, high-powered women are funny. Men however, are pathetic if they have these qualities), smelly people, and performance appraisal.

I love my job, I really do. I have one of the coolest jobs which lets me be myself while selling something once in a while. But year after year I am always presented with this mission statement and that, ladies and gentlemen, freaks me out.

I don't have any mission statement. Or rather, I have no mission whatsoever. I just happen to like my job, that's all. For me, setting some sort of goal to it is diminishing the fun level.

Oh but... wait a minute.

I think I just found my mission statement...whoa! Why didn't I think of that before!

My mission is to have as much fun as I can in doing my job. Genius, eh?

I should go fill up that appraisal form now.

And just in case you're wondering what's with the durian intro and what does it have to do with the whole mission statement thing... well, I just want to prove a point that life has taught me that it's not that necessary to have a mission. Sometimes, when you just float and see where it goes you could end up in amazing places. You just gotta be open minded and able to enjoy every hiccups that might happen along the way.

That's what I always do anyway, do random things just for the sake of it.

But of course, don't take my words for it. Mission takes people to the moon and back. Mission brings us the movie Avatar.

I'm just saying that I'm not one of those people. Knowing that someone enjoys having a conversation with me is a great enough achievement for me.

So am I an underachiever?

How would I know? I don't measure myself. Life is too short and too beautiful to be worrying about standards.

Tomorrow's the first day of a long weekend, so live and let live!

1 comment:

  1. Keren! Quote u on this: "Life is too short and too beautiful to be worrying about standards."

    ReplyDelete